Selecting Publicity Photos and Graphics
Ch. 8 Notes of Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques
-Photographs and graphics are important components of news releases and feature stories. They add interest and variety, and they often explain things better than words alone.
-Publicty photos, however, are not published if they are not high-resolution and if they do not appeal to media gatekeepers.
-Often they look for the key elements of good contrast and sharp detail so the photo reproduces well on everything from glossy magazine pages to cheap newsprint.
-Experts have made the following suggestions about composition and color:
- Take tight shots with minimal background.
- Emphasize detail, not whole scenes.
- Don’t use a cluttered background.
- Try to frame the picture.
- Avoid wasted space.
- Ask subjects wearing sunglasses to remove them.