Community Relations (Notes)
Define Community Relations: The strategic development of mutually beneficial relationships with targeted communities toward the long-term objective of building reputation and trust.
Hardy’s Relationship Building Techniques:
- Be involved. Be committed.
- Building reputation, one relationship at a time, is good business.
- Choose the right projects, be strategic.
- Keep moving ahead.
- Embrace diversity.
- When things go wrong, make them right as fast as you can.
- The best way for an organization to obtain and retain a license to operate is to become a “neighbor of choice.”
-Three reputation building strategies:
- Build sustainable and ongoing relationships with key individuals, groups, and organizations.
- Institute practices and procedures that anticipate respond to community expectations, concerns and issues.
- Focus the community support program to build relationships, respond to community concerns, and strengthen the community’s quality of life.
-Organizations have to do a better job of requiring loyalty to the organization, the brand, the things the organization does well.
–Twelve Trust-Busting behaviors:
- Broken promises
- Creating fear
- Disparaging opposition
- Ignoring/Avoiding the killer questions
- Minimizing danger
- Negative surprise
- Overrate your preparation