Social Media (Notes)
What is Social Media?
describes the collection of software enables individuals and communities to gather, communicate, share, and in some cases collaborate or play.
- New Media
- Web 2.0
- Consumer-generated media
- User-generated media
- The Live Web
Social media is responsible for changing:
- The way organizations communicate with people.
- The way people communicate and connect with each other.
Social Media Characteristics:
- Decentralization of authority
Corporate Participation in Social Media:
- Customer service
- Market research and product development
- (Social) media relations
- Crisis management
- Employee engagement
Social media has several challenges such as; Ethics, Legal, Bias, Attacks and campaigns.
Best Practices In Social Media:
- Listen and monitor.
- Help your employees help themselves.
- Participate, don’t dictate.
- Be prepared for the feedback.
- Plan, integrate and measure.
- Embrace opportunity.